First off, let me say thanks to everyone who commented on my first blog. Your input makes me feel as though wasting two hours in order to write it wasn't a complete waste of time. Something that I really enjoyed was getting to hear from people that I don't communicate with as often as I would like (my brother, friends from home, people at Schreiner I don't see on a regular basis, Holly Clark, etc). I loved hearing from you guys!
Someone who commented on my first entry (a very wise and bald individual by the name of Andrew Bell) asked an interesting question about how one becomes a professional blogger and how much they make. I did some research it turns out that some journalist bloggers can make between $10,000-$20,000 per month or roughly $100,000-$200,000 annually. I think that's absolutely crazy! For one, I sit around on my ass every day sharing my own opinions and discussing current events and don't make a single dime doing it yet as soon as someone posts their thoughts online and slaps a company affiliation on it, boom, they're frickin' rich?! I'm not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully, further research for our group project will clarify the reasoning behind that.
On a side note, I finished my research paper and am relieved to have it done. I'm heading home to Austin for the Easter weekend and didn't want the thought of an unfinished paper interrupting my (hopefully) relaxing time away from school.
Easter. I think it's interesting. I grew up in a Christian household where Easter was celebrated every year but I always looked forward to the candy and Easter basket the most as a kid. I remember one year when I was about 5 years old I pitched a fit and my mom told me that the Easter bunny would come back to the house while we were at church and take away my Easter basket and eat all my candy. You can believe that that got me to shut up! Speaking of the Easter bunny, how did the whole rabbit-layinig-eggs, chocolate candy, and pastel color template come about for a holiday that's purpose is to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ? I searched online and couldn't find anything very informative so I gave up. Does anybody know or have their own theories on it? Feedback in general?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

wow! i definitely don't get paid that much as a blogger. damn. i should do something about that. way to get your part of the paper done! that's awesome! i plan on getting about three papers done this weekend... we'll see how that goes. also, good question about easter... hmmm (tis hannah)
ReplyDeleteRebek,
ReplyDeleteAs a seminarian, I can't resist responding to a blog on this topic!
Funny you mention the eggs-n-bunnies get-up that accompanies Easter, because I was telling someone about that just two days ago. I was looking for clip art for a newsletter that I put together for my internship, and I wanted an "Easter" picture. Of the 40+ images that showed up, probably no more than 5 had anything to do with a cross--in fact, more had to do with white lilies than crosses! (And of course, both were far outnumbered by the plethora of bunny, chicks and colored eggs pictures.)
I don't have an answer for where that legacy of lies comes from (which, on that note, is hiLARious that your mom said that to you as a child about the "indian-giver" Easter Bunny!), but I do have thoughts on Easter in general.
Like you, while growing up Easter meant very little to me besides another holiday for getting candy and a new dress. Obviously in seminary I came to realize that it is the most important celebration of the Christian life (and which we truly celebrate year-round), which is why it's aMAZing to me that so much of America, a post-Christian nation, embraces this holiday anyway!
It also DISGUSTS me how it has been commercialized and run over by pink plastic grass and bunny stickers. Why would non-Christians want anything to do with such an event/holiday? If you think about "Easter" for more than five seconds, you may start to think about how the biggest aspect of it is going to church. And why do you go to church, then? Sadly, for many it is simply a social event or the time to put in their bi-annual visit (with Christmas as the other time) to the church building, where they hear a 20-minute sermon, but really use the time to mentally prepare for their Easter Dinner!
If, however, one thinks about what the pastor is actually SAYING, or what is so significant about the death of a man from ancient history that we continue to honor and celebrate it every year, then that is where God becomes involved.
Anytime someone starts to think about God-related things (like why we exist, is there a higher purpose, how good do i have to be to get to heaven, is there even a heaven, what does this "God" want from my life now, etc etc), then that means God is ALREADY involved in their life, working in their spirit to turn the person's heart towards God. And that's just the beginning! Once God starts to work on someone's heart, helping them to see their shortfalls as well as their ability to be loved no-matter-what, then Easter Sunday has a chance to mean something REAL to them.
And suddenly, the whole "Jesus" thing starts to take on meaning...like, for example, "So, if Jesus really and truly was raised from the dead--which would be a pretty good sign that he IS God--then what does that sacrifice and resurrection mean for MY life? Where does that bring hope to the situations I am dealing with that seem impossible to fix? And if he said he did it for ME, living in the year 2009, then how could this possibly change the direction of my life if I took his words seriously?"
See, now I've gotten into "ministry mode," where I get so excited about this topic that I just can't stop! Funny that I'm only talking/writing to myself--and possibly one other person (Rebek). But obviously this topic strikes at my heart...
And while writing this, I've come to another conclusion about Easter as a holiday--perhaps a personal revelation. Maybe we as Christians should, in a bittersweet way, be GLAD that all of America "embraces" OUR holiday. What better chance to talk about the most significant person in our religion, and his most significant act, than when it's already highly recognized and publicized?
So on that note, I am going to do my best to embrace Easter, even in all its ridiculous commerical decor, because I'm sure it's not only Christians who see through the trinkets and candy; there are probably many non-Christians who wonder what the real purpose is behind this "celebration" or "holy day." And I'm going to look for opportunities to help them see through that fluffy stuff!
Because, in a way, this Sunday is the MOST significant day of my life: Without Easter Sunday, I wouldn't be in seminary, and on a bigger scale, Christianity would be a dead religion, literally. Jesus' resurrection changed everything--including my life--and he continues to give people hope and change people's hearts to this day.
Blessings on your BLOGGING, Rebek! I hope you get a good grade!!
XOX
Lex