I went grocery shopping last night and picked out some rather delicious looking Weight Watchers ice cream. I was looking forward to it all through lunch today and couldnt' wait for my sugar fix only to be disappointed (and some what offended) by the repulsive, disgusting, and sugar-coated-grainy-cardboard-tasting "ice cream" that was in the package.
Below is a picture of this so-called "premium ice" that I hope can save people from purchasing and having to endure the wretched taste inside their mouthes.
I'm quite familiar with Weight Watchers and their Point System and being able to find a tasty treat for only 2 points can be quite exciting when you're on a diet. This ice cream was indeed 2 points-two points way down for charging me almost $5 for 2 tiny tubs of crap!
On a side note, I think the whole obesity epidemic in this country is a little ridiculous. While it's important to show the health pros/cons of healthy eatting and exercise to families and individuals, it's the advertising industry and trends that need a wake up call. Celebrity endorsements, product placement, fake advertising, and persuasive ads that lead people too believe that buying certain products and foods will allow them to be more successful/beautiful/smart/popular, etc are way too affective and strongly influence people's habits.
Here's the thing. I try not to buy into everything I see in advertisements for these products -it's the costs that really get to me. Being healthy can be so much more expensive than not caring what I put into my body. Buying fresh produce and foods lower in fat, sugar, carbs are often twice as expensive as regular products or fast foods that are quicker, more convenient and cheaper. It's frustrating! Do I want to eat right and have no money to spend on other things or do I want to spend less money on less healthy foods and gain weight?
I've spoken to a number of my friends about this in multiple conversations and it's nice to have people that can relate who are experiencing similar frustrations. Sure, I can just give in and eat the unhealthy stuff and just exercize more but for how long will that be affective? Any thoughts on the matter? Yes or no, I hope my little rant and "ice cream" experience can help you the next time you reach into the freezer for healthier alternatives.

first: good job on blogging TWICE in one day! you should for sure just stick with the slow churnd girl scout cookies kind if you're going to go for healthy.
ReplyDeleteKnow What Rebecca? Mel had some of that ice cream in the freezer last week! It "vanished" so I assume she at it, but I should ask her what she thought of it.
ReplyDeleteIn the meantime, I had my OWN tub of Breyer's Cookies and Cream (mmmm favorite!) and even looking at the Weight Watchers one, I knew it wasn't going to taste good. I'm not surprised it tasted like creamy cardboard.
Well thank you for the warning! I hate having high expectations and then being let down and un-satisfied! I agree with the whole healthy yummy food (like raspberries and blackberries in season - yum!) are too expensive! Sorbet's kinda like ice cream but a little healthier, right?
ReplyDeleteEw. Grainy ice cream. You might want to try some of the dairy free ice creams (I know, coming from your vegan friend it's a little biased). However, at the end of the ice cream aisle there's some yummy low-fat, low-sugar rice/soy/coconut milk ice creams that taste AMAZING. Good luck.
ReplyDeletei love that ice cream! Keep it and bring it to me! I tihnk it is delicious!
ReplyDeleteWhitney bell