"Your blog has been created! Congratulations! You now have yet another place online where you can waste time when you should be doing a million other things!" This was the message I received from blogspot.com once I completed making an account. Ok, maybe not the second part but that's what the exclamation point made me think. Is it really supposed to be that exciting? Because to me, it's not. Sorry.
I'm actually starting this blog for a school project in one of my classes. Can you guess what it's about? Blogs! Well...kind of. Hannah, Ali, Mark, and I are supposed to research the different fundamentals of blogs and what implications they have on the mass media, politics, different societies, and in culture. We're also writing blogs (the one you're reading right now) in order to get some first-hand feedback. So if nobody reads it or responds/comments back then....I guess we're kinda outta luck.
The thing is that I actually do like blogs. Just not mine. I feel pressure to produce something interesting or in the least, something that won't piss someone off or bore anyone. So I apologize in advance if that's the case. I like reading other people's blogs whether they're by people I know, celebrities, or professional bloggers. I can't say that I never liked having my own blog because I used to write blog entries every now and then on myspace up until about a year ago....as did Hannah. Sorry, Hannahface. Try not to be too embarrassed, dear. Good thing you deleted them all or I'd go back and look at them now ;)
Ok, so that's really all I have right now. I'm supposed to be writing an ethnography for my family communication class but I kind of got off track by getting on blogspot and then being compelled to also check facebook, perezhilton.com, cnn.com, check yahoo email, and a headline story on yahoo news that caught my eye, "Ohio man charged with drunken driving on bar stool" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_bar_stool_dui;_ylt=AlB28bBKiv_GglJEcvHmoz.fr7sF)
that got me thinking about how someone would go about motorizing a bar stool so then I had to investigate a bit. So in all....I lost about 2 hrs worth of valuable ethnography-writing time. I'll admit though, I did enjoy the "process" of this and learned some interesting but still rather unimportant stuff. Maybe I'll have something more exciting to talk about tomorrow? We'll see!
~Becca
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am very excited that you have a blog (even if it's not really real and only temporary)! And it's super cute too! I understand what you mean about being hesitant to write things in blogs because of who reads them. I have definitely run in to that problem myself and usually end up writing a private blog on myspace to openly bitch to no one. I'm excited to read what things you'll venture to write about this week.
ReplyDeleteAbout Becca: "I have blonde hair." awesome.
ReplyDeleteI think you should piss people off, just do it nicely. You and your blonde hair are very capable of being sweet and sly at the same time ;) Just don't piss me off lol. I look forward to follow the life and times of Becca Bell.
I can't figure out how to post this using my name, so I am going to say "anonymous" but this is Holly, not anonymous.
I'm doing this because I want to support you. My first blog reading. Now I know why people never get anything done! Judith
ReplyDeletei don't always know what to write on my blog either. Sometimes i want to write some stuff, but i feel like it's too personal. Other times, i feel like what i want to say will just bore everyone. i guess it doesn't matter b/c i don't think many people read my blog anyway! At least, that's what i tell myself anyway. Welcome to the blogging world! Even if you only stay for a little bit, i hope that you have fun!
ReplyDeleteGood morning! For one who has never had a blog, and who still fumbles with computers, I find this fun and will be more than happy to help you out. All you need to do is to give me a friendly reminder now and then. Happy blogging, girl! Louise
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the project! I hate blogging, I always feel boring. BUT I couldn't pass up your bar stool story without throwing in another one, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29892972/ . Its become a favorite of my criminal psych class, not sure if you've seen it yet or not.
ReplyDeleteso, my friend who blogs regularly at www.reverendmother.com just posted a few days ago that those who blog do seem to be happier. when i was in college, one of my professors said that the best teachers are those who take 15 minutes at the end of each day to write down what went on and how they felt about it. it makes me wonder if this whole blogging thing is really an updated form of journaling our feelings and ideas for the whole world to see! but i am with you - i think i would censor or be boring or make someone mad or share too much...but i do read reverendmother religiously, so i guess i like other people's blogs, too! good luck with the project! gini
ReplyDeleteHow does one become professional blogger? Once one has risen to the ranks of profession, doesn't that make one a sellout? I imagine that if I were to be paid to blog, it would be fun, but I can see myself just being in it for the money? This begs the question: how much money is professional blogging? Does it all come from sponsors like Netflix that pop up every someone visits the blog? Does the blogger received money every time that advertisement pops up?
ReplyDeleteOR are there free agent bloggers looking for that next big contract? Can one blogger be traded from blog to blog if they aren't pulling their weight?
This was supposed to be my last online, waste time, stop until I saw your little news story.
ReplyDeleteThanks Becca. Thanks alot.
As far as blogging goes, I still blog but it's on a lowkey blogging sight that doesn't get any real attention and I don't have anyfriends on it. It's more like a personal journal that I read over about as rarely as I write in it. But the fact that I know nobody else reads it but me makes it alot easier to write it.
oh well.
g'luck.
-Liz
i see you read perez hilton???? GROSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! im a fan of ONTD. soooo much better.
ReplyDeleteI tried to blog once. but i didnt know what to write about. so i wrote about not knowing what to write about. it had one entry.
my hands are itchy. i think i have some crazy rash. -kristen
it looks like its going well so far, so that's good news. i like the bar stool thing... and your amazing abilities to waste time. haha (just kidding... kind of) also, if you would like to send this info on to andrew: a professional blogger (or at least on my level) is paid $8 an hour, but is only allowed to log 3 hours each pay period. ;) (this is hannah)
ReplyDeleteI feel like it is pretty important for us to be able to write down the thoughts we are feeling about the issues in our life. as I counsel people I always encourage them to take the time to journal some thoughts about how they are feeling. and these blog spots are a great way for this to be possible in a fun and dynamic way and also get other close freinds in on the same thought process. We are so busy with life and so easily distracted by things like you were in your blog entry. I think it is good to focus for a few minuites on what your mind and spirit are trying to say to you. -some would call that your concious- I would call that my Holy Spirit with in. especially when we are making decisions that could effect our life and future. So I love this new way of journaling and encourage it.
ReplyDeleteBlessing dear daughter #2.
hugs, Gail